Anti-counterfeit labels incorporate specific properties or combinations of security features (such as overt & covert) into the face material as a means of authentication. Authentic label printing is very difficult to reproduce, and depending on the level of security used, their authenticity can be checked by brand-owners, the government, and the public at any point within the supply chain.
Authenticate Label Printing
Whitlam offers an assortment of technologies available in today’s market. Overt security technologies can be combined with other technologies for multi-layered anti-counterfeiting solutions. Whether it’s a singular overt solution, or a combination of overt, covert, and other solutions, Whitlam can help.
How to Get Started:
- Identify the threats to be addressed
- Define who will be involved in detecting fraud (experts, employees, consumers, etc.)
- Agree on the strength and cost of the technologies
- Execute the project / validate the security choices
- Implement the solution
Overt Technologies Labels
Overt technology features are authentication devices built into labels and/or packages that are visible and show dynamic visual effects. Overt technologies include barcodes, specialty inks and labels, holograms, watermarks, embossing, tamper-evident film, and more.
Main Criteria for Overt Features:
- Communicate with the verifier
- Easy to identify
- Hard to copy and imitate
These solutions are not visible to the human eye. Overt features enable instant authentication of products and identify documents through visual inspection by the user. Overt devices can be made more secure by combining them with covert features to deliver the benefits of both systems. This can include multiple covert technologies, such as invisible inks and/or taggants that are in the packaging or product, which can only be read with proprietary readers or detectors.
Covert Features Include:
- Hidden Images: Labels with covertly hidden images or numbers that can only be authenticated through the use of UV light, magnifications, or a visible light pen
- Markers and Taggants
- Retro-reflective technology
- Hidden barcodes
- Digital and web authentication
- Optical variable devices
- and much more
Track & Trace Labels
Unique product identification solutions that can be applied covertly and overtly to individual products, cases, pallets, or shipping containers. The unique markers can be monitored in real-time at any point in the supply chain to help brand owners and enforcement track products’ authenticity. This information can be accessed at any time to track and authenticate products – from production to the retail shelf.
- End-user verifications build customer confidence and brand loyalty
- Early detection of counterfeiting or diversion in a supply chain
- Deterrent to counterfeiters
- Ability to have targeted product recalls
- Return warranty verification